Below is a partial list of capabilties and resources available to help develop local green enterprises.
Analytical Testing (Biodiesel etc.)
- APHA Color Standards
- Total Ash by Muffle Furnace
- Sulfated Ash by ASTM
- Glycerin % by titration
- pH by meter or paper
- Total Acid Number and soap content
- Microscopes including photographic downloads
- Melting Point
- Flammability Testing
Tools (for use at MOI Labs or possibly as loans/rentals)
- Shop tools — drill press, band saw, grinder, mini lathe, mini milling table, etc.
- Glass blowing rig – have sold “icicles”
- Electroplating rig – thought about plating leaves for jewelry
- Some floor finishing equipment
- Ovens, vacuum pumps, hot plates, wet chemistry, 7 fume hoods
- Several big lots of boards at the MOI Labs that could be used to build picnic tables and benches etc.
- Citric acid in bulk – used in canning
- Collection of specialty printed and colored papers
Agricultural & Land Resources
- 2000+ sqr feet of “rough” space at the MOI lab for pilot work (fire code on wood frame buildings does limit options however).
- 4000+ sqr feet of roof space at MOI Labs for experimental solar panel work.
- 800 sqr feet of developed garden space in Jonesborough that somebody could garden on for themselves or the food pantry (I’m not keeping up with my ambitions here);
- An apple tree in Jonesborough which seems to produce in odd-numbered years now, and I can only get the bottom half (too heavy for ladder work).
- Bamboo thicket in Jonesborough if you want to make rain sticks, a staff, or a few garden poles.